Full Description (taken from here):
Martha Carrier was one of the first women to be accused, tried and hanged as a witch in Salem, Massachusetts. Like her mother, young Sarah Carrier is bright and willful, openly challenging the small, brutal world in which they live. Often at odds with one another, mother and daughter are forced to stand together against the escalating hysteria of the trials and the superstitious tyranny that led to the torture and imprisonment of more than 200 people accused of witchcraft. This is the story of Martha's courageous defiance and ultimate death, as told by the daughter who survived.
Kathleen Kent is a tenth generation descendent of Martha Carrier. She paints a haunting portrait, not just of Puritan New England, but also of one family's deep and abiding love in the face of fear and persecution.
Visit the author's website and become a Facebook fan.
Reading Group Guide (taken from here):
1) How was Sarah changed by living with her cousin Margaret? How was she changed by returning to her family?
2) What was it about Martha's character that seemed to antagonize so many neighbors?
3) What do you think was the most compelling reason that Martha was eventually brought to trial?
4) Discuss the various factors that lead to the witch hysteria.
5) Why did Martha choose to take a stand of innocence knowing that a refused confession meant death?
6) Why did Thomas, despite his size and capabilities, not seek to persuade or deter Martha from her course of action?
7) Why did the community of Salem, and the magistrates, so easily believe in and rely on "spectral evidence”?
8) How has reading the book changed your opinions about the men and women hanged as witches?
9) Are there modern day "witches”?
10) Can we, or should we, redefine the meaning of the word "witch"?
Valerie over at Hachette has given me permission to give away 5 copies of this book
Open to residents of the US and Canada
Cannot mail to a P.O. Box
The books will be mailed out by the publisher
Leave all entries in one comment or separate comments:
+1 for commenting
+1 for following this blog
+1 for following me on twitter
+5 for sharing this contest -make sure you leave the link in your comments (on your blog, -sidebar counts, Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) THIS CAN BE DONE ONCE A DAY
+5 for following my other blog freebies4meandu.
+5 for faving me on Technorati (right sidebar)
+1 for friending me on Myspace here.
+1 for friending me on Facebook here.
+1 for connecting with me via Networked Blogs (right sidebar)
+1 for friending me on GoodReads here.
+1 for friending me on Book Blogs here.
+1 for grabbing my button and placing it on your sidebar - leave link or your this entry does not count.
+2 for every meaningful comment you leave on any of my posts - excluding giveaway posts - make sure you come back and leave a comment on the giveaway post you would like to add your entries to
+10 for clicking on my Social Vibe icon (left sidebar) and filling out the information These entries can be used in any of my giveaways (both blogs). Email me or leave a comment somewhere on my blog letting me know how you want to use your entries.
+25 for voting for my nephew here
+100 Make a purchase using the icon below, email me the receipt at bjhopper(at)me(dot)com and receive 100 extra entries (per item) into the giveaway of your choice. This goes for both of my blogs.
+100 entries for each item purchased from my Amazon aStore (at the top of my blog). You can use those entries in any of my giveaways (both blogs). All you need to do is email me at bjhopper(at)me(dot)com your receipt and let me know how you want to use your entries.
*Current friends/followers receive the extra points as well - just make sure you remind me in the comments*
**Must leave an email address in comment or must be visible in blogger profile**
Winners will be chosen using Random.org on Oct. 24th and notified via email.
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book to keep from the publisher.