August 7, 2010

Review: The Wet Nurse's Tale by Erica Eisdorfer


A debut novel set in Victorian England with a delightfully cheeky heroine who will have everyone talking.

Susan Rose is not your average Victorian heroine. She's promiscuous, lovable, plump, and scheming. Luckily for Susan, her big heart is covered by an equally big bosom, and her bosom is her fortune- for Susan becomes a professional wet nurse, like her mother before her, and she makes it her business to know all the intrigues and scandals that the upper crust would prefer to keep to themselves.

When her own child is caught up in a family scandal, Susan must use all of her street smarts to rescue her baby from the powerful mistress of the house. The scheme she weaves is bold and daring, and could spell ruin if she fails-but Susan Rose has no intention of failing.


I absolutely adore Susan. She's far from your typical main character and that's what I love about her. I applaud Erica for her descriptions and the flow of her writing. This book gets five stars, easy.

Penguin Group (USA)
9780425234471
August 3, 2010
320 pages
$15.00 US





Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions expressed are 100% mine.  If you purchase a book using my Amazon or Barnes and Noble link, I will receive a small portion of the purchase price.




Bookmark and Share

20 comments:

Book Lady said...

This book looks really good! I haven't heard of this one but I'm definitely putting it on my "Want" list! Susan sounds like a great character!

Esme said...

You do not often hear of a cheeky heroine set in the Victorian era

Jane Jeffress Thomas said...

I posted in the wrong place. I am a follower.

Colleen Turner said...

I have had this on my TBR list for SO LONG! I love historical fiction and what a wonderful concept for a book....we never hear about the life of the wet nurse!
Thanks,
candc320@gmail.com

Linda Kish said...

I'd like to hear more about her tale. Sounds interesting..

lkish77123 at gmail dot com

Ruthie said...

I think this would be interesting. I would definitely read this.
ruthiekb72@yahoo.com

Bethie said...

Sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks for the review.

PetalsontheRiver said...

Thanks for the review! I've not heard of this book before now and I know I want to read it. I LOVE historical fiction.

Kristen said...

Intriguing story! I'll want to read this one...

couponboss at gmail dot com

allisonsbj3 said...

I'd love to read this!

debbie said...

This is a really unique story. It sounds like you liked it. I would love to read it.

CherylS22 said...

Looks like a good book - I'd love to read it!

Suzy said...

This book sounds like a unique story, I've never heard of a book about anything like this. I've read about wet nurses and how they are in charge of raising the children so the actual mother can do her duties or whatever. I wonder if children get more attached to their nurse than to their actual mother? This sounds like a powerful motherly story.

sweetpea18 said...

i'm adding this one to my list. a wet nurse as the heroine is different!

LAMusing said...

I was curious about this book from the title and synopsis, but your 5 stars make it a must read :)

Debby said...

would love to read this book

debbydeluxe(at)yahoo(dot)com

Shannon said...

Sounds like an interesting read. =)
tiredwkids at live dot com

Beth said...

I could so never be a wet nurse but the book looks really fun!

Aik said...

5 stars? This must be an excellent book.

Dovile said...

I've never read a book with a wet nurse as the main heroine, it should be interesting.