September 23, 2010

Review: Ah-Choo!: The Uncommon Life of Your Common Cold


Some colds are like mice, timid and annoying; others like dragons, accompanied by body aches and deep misery. In AH-CHOO!, Jennifer Ackerman explains what, exactly, a cold is, how it works, and whether it's really possible to "fight one off." Scientists call this the Golden Age of the Common Cold because Americans suffer up to a billion colds each year, resulting in 40 million days of missed work and school and 100 million doctor visits. They've also learned over the past decade much more about what cold viruses are, what they do to the human body, and how symptoms can be addressed.

In a strange way, I have always found illnesses fascinating. It's amazing how something so small, like one tiny germ can cause the body so much trouble. I found many interesting pieces of information in AH-CHOO! and I hope it will help me recognize an oncoming illness. If you are interested in learning what methods may help defend your body from certain viruses, this book is perfect for you.

Twelve
9780446541152
9/2/2010
256 pages
$22.99/$25.99

Visit Jennifer's website





Disclosure: I received a copy of this book for free from Hachette Book Group. All opinions expressed are 100% mine. If you purchase a book using my Amazon or Barnes and Noble link, I will receive a small portion of the purchase price.



Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

Linda Kish said...

I find the "common" cold fascinating since it is so uncommon.

lkish77123 at gmail dot com

Jacqueline in Atlanta said...

Would love to read the book. People love to say "They can cure such and such, but they can't cure the common cold." Perhaps the book offers insight into, if not curing, at least avoiding or shortening the duration of that awful nemesis, the common cold, which may be common, but is still awful!

Thanks for the giveaway.

Tiffany Christie said...

I'd like to learn from this book. My son would probably be interested in reading it also ....Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

hendy said...

a billion colds a year, wash your hands people

ikkinlala said...

It would be interesting to learn more about the common cold.

wgbc1446 said...

I hate colds. Will have to say though that since I quit smoking, they last about half as long as they used to! Yay! wgbc1446[at]yahoo[dot]com

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great non-fiction read!

theyyyguy@yahoo.com

susan1215 said...

Sounds interesting to learn more about the common cold.

tallcapp said...

Many moons ago worked in a research lab which did some work on the common cold. Along with this and your review, would really like to red this book.

Cassie said...

Sounds great!

Laura H. said...

A book about the common cold?!?!? Interesting!

Gianna said...

I have one right now that my kids kindly shared with me. It'd be something interesting to read for sure.