September 19, 2010

Review: The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard


They were born on the same day, in the same hospital, into families that could hardly have been less alike. Ruth is an artist and a romantic, with a rich and passionate imaginative life. Dana is a scientist and realist whose faith is firmly planted in what she can see or hear or touch. Yet these two very different women share the same struggle to make sense of their place in a world in which neither of them has ever truly felt she belonged. Told in the alternating voices of Ruth and Dana, "The Good Daughters" follows these birthday sisters as they make their way through the decades, from the 1950s to the present. Master storyteller Joyce Maynard chronicles the unlikely ways the two women's lives intersect - from childhood and adolescence to first loves, first sex, marriage, and parenthood; from the deaths of parents to divorce, the loss of home, and the loss of a beloved partner - until an unavoidable moment when a long-held secret from the past alters everything...

One word can sum up how I feel about this book, WOW!  Yes, the word has to be capitalized to get the point across.  The Good Daughters should not be missed!  If you are a woman, you will love this book.  Joyce knows how to get a reader hooked for life.  I can't wait for her next book!




HarperCollins Publishers
August 24, 2010
308 pages
$24.99 US

Visit Joyce's website






Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book for free from HarperCollins.  All opinions expressed are 100% mine.  If you purchase a book using my Amazon or Barnes and Noble link, I will receive a small portion of the purchase price.



Bookmark and Share

40 comments:

avalonne83 said...

Thanks a lot for sharing this review. The book sounds so intriguing.

avalonne83 [at] yahoo [dot]it

PoCoKat said...

Sounds like a great read!

littleone AT shaw DOT ca

Linda Kish said...

This book sounds really interesting.

lkish77123 at gmail dot com

Linda Kish said...

This book sounds really interesting.

lkish77123 at gmail dot com

CraftyGiveaways said...

sounds like a book i would like!

getoverit2090[at]hotmail[dot]com

randio said...

Sounds like a fascinating read, thanks for the review!

randio said...

Joined Joyce's mailing list.

pippirose said...

I've been looking forward to this book coming out.
Sounds fantastic.
:o)
pippirose59 at gmail dot com

debbie said...

I thought this sounded like an interesting plot.

Colleen Turner said...

I have seen this book on many blogs lately and everyone is saying the same thing: this book is awesome! I cannot wait to read it.
Thanks,
candc320@gmail.com

Amber said...

This is a really interesting premise for a book!

JHS. said...

I'd like to learn how to write such a concise review. :-)

JHS
Colloquium

jhsmail at comcast dot net

Nicole C. said...

I would love to read this book. It sounds like a great read.

choateorama(at)gmail(dot)com

Esme said...

I loved Labor Day-so I can hardly wait to read this one.

Monique said...

Interesting. I know 2 other girls born on the same date as my daughter. One family and one a really good family friend. It would be interesting to chronicle how their lives connect, intertwine, and how they don't.
Monique
monique dot burkes at gmail dot com

Bethie said...

Thanks for the review. I have put this one on my wishlist.

lizzi0915 at aol dot com

Mystica said...

Thank you for the review.

mystica123athotmaildotcom

Kathleen said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am your newest follower.

Kathleen
http://www.lifewith4boys.com

MRWriter said...

I like the premise of 2 very different women being born on the same day. Very interesting. (-:

AlexDean03(at)yahoo.com

lgm52 said...

Would love to read this one!

lgm52@hotmail.com

sweetpea18 said...

sounds great! i've added this one to my list :)

Mary said...

I love the Wow! comment. It makes me really want to get this book. (I have it on my list of must-reads anyway.)

mryward(at)yahoo(dot)com

Beth said...

I've been a fan of Joyce Maynard since she used to write essays in a woman's magazine (Woman's Day, maybe?) back when her kids were little. I'm looking forward to reading this book.

+20 signed up for Joyce's mailing list.
+ 5 I'm one of your email subscribers.
+ 5 I follow you via Google Friend Connect.

hendy said...

This book looks like another typically good Joyce Maynard book. Thanks for the review.

Wanda said...

Sounds like a wonderful book ... one that I would really enjoy reading.
wandanamgreb(at)gmail(dot)com

AmandaSue said...

This caught my eye when I read about these women struggling to make sense of their place in this world and not feeling like they belong, it reminds me of myself in alot of ways, so I'd love to find out if the characters find there place to fit in!

Jodi said...

My childhood friend and I don't share the same birthday but we are polar opposites who went through the same milestones together. I'd love to read this book and pass it on to her.

webbJM AT verizon DOT net

allisonsbj3 said...

I can't wait to read this book!

allisonsbj3(at)gmail(dot)com

Anita Yancey said...

I like that this story is about sisters, it makes for a very interesting subject. I would enjoy reading this book.

ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net

Tiffany Christie said...

This book sounds great! Very interesting ....Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great book!
shawnac68@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the strong recommendation!

theyyyguy@yahoo.com

ewhatley said...

sounds like a great beach read

ewhatley at embarqmail dot com

loni said...

Sounds interesting to read about their lives!

trippyjanet at hotmail dot com

Forget Shyness Reviews said...

ooo sounds good! my email is littleheathen9109 @ Yah00 d0t c0m

Kirby McCauley said...

Sounds like a good read, and thanks for posting that video, I'm always interested in hearing what authors have to say :)

Allana890 said...

Thank you for the review. You definitely have me wanting to read this book now. I have been looking for something new that will catch my attention, and i think maybe now I have found my next read :) Thanks
AD85(at)live.ca

tallcapp said...

Thanks for reviewing this book favorably. I would really like to read it.

Becky said...

I always love me a good book :)

CherylS22 said...

Looks like a great story. Can't wait to read it!