September 13, 2010

Review: Last to Die by Kate Brady



A ruthless killer hides in plain sight, someone no one believes is capable of murder. Within a week, six women will be murdered, all punished for their dark pasts. Detective Dani Cole is determined to track down this serial killer whose victims include a young woman she pulled out of a life of crime. Her investigation leads her to a photography foundation and the renowned photographer Mitch Sheridan, a man she she fell in love with years ago but has tried to forget. Dani and Mitch are instantly attracted to each other again, though their troubled pasts keep them from getting too close. Together, through the course of the investigation, they unearth a dark chain of deception that leads to a killer who is closer than they think.

Kate was added to my favorite author's list after I read One Scream Away.  Her knack for romance and suspense keeps a reader intrigued from cover to cover.  I love Dani and Mitch and I enjoyed helping track down the killer.

Five Fun Facts

1. Mitch Sheridan, the hero in Last to Die, was originally the hero in a romance I wrote when I was still an author-in-search-of-a-genre.

2. When investigating the possibilities for an acid for a villain to use, I had to “come clean” with colleagues in the department of chemistry at the university where I teach, and reveal that in my other life, I write novels

3. I didn’t intend to have a dog in this book but gave one to Dani, the heroine, after my own beloved and elderly dog passed away. Dani needed a softer side, I was apparently feeling lonely for her, and besides, what better way to show heart than to adopt a beat-up pit bull?

4. The physical building on which the JMS Foundation is based is an actual castle in the town where I grew up. When I was a kid, it was a family home, and we were in awe that it had a legitimate ballroom. Now, it’s a fine arts facility known as The Arts Castle.

5. Mitch’s car, a pearl-white 1968 Barracuda, has been sitting in my garage for years. It’s the project-car I bought my husband for our first anniversary. He works on it whenever time allows — about every other Father’s Day.

Forever Special Release 
9780446541534
9/1/2010
432 pages
$6.99/$7.99

Visit Kate's website
Like Kate on Facebook
Read my One Scream Away review








Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book for free from Hachette Book Group.  All opinions expressed are 100% mine.  If you purchase a book using my Amazon or Barnes and Noble link, I will receive a small portion of the purchase price.



Bookmark and Share

40 comments:

sunshine9 said...

Your review of Last to Die makes me want to have a little suspense and romance in my life! I'm adding Kate Brady as a new author for me to follow.

sunshine9 said...

Hope I can do all the extra points in one comment. .. if not let me know
+5 GFC Readaholic
+10 like Kate on FB
+5 friending Bridget on FB

PoCoKat said...

Sounds like a good suspenseful read...I haven't read her books before.

littleone AT shaw DOT ca

elaing8 said...

I could use a good suspenseful book right now.Nice review.

Kaye said...

Kate was also added to my faves after One Scream Away too! Wow, what a thriller ride that was.

GFC follower.

florida982002@yahoo.com

Moridin said...

Sounds like an interesting book!

Bethie said...

Romance and suspense all in one! Sounds great.

alexa.1959 said...

Alexa Nernberg
(alexa.1959@live.com)

Hi Bridget, Last to Die looks like a really good book that I'd like to read. Thanks for the giveaway and the opportunity to participate.

Marjorie said...

Nothing better than a mystery and it is my favourite type to read.

cenya2 at hotmail dot com

alexa.1959 said...

Alexa Nernberg
(alexa.1959@live.com)

I follow Bridget3420 on Twitter as alexanernberg

(1 of 5)

alexa.1959 said...

Alexa Nernberg
(alexa.1959@live.com)

I follow Bridget3420 on Twitter as alexanernberg

(2 of 5)

alexa.1959 said...

Alexa Nernberg
(alexa.1959@live.com)

I follow Bridget3420 on Twitter as alexanernberg

(3 of 5)

alexa.1959 said...

Alexa Nernberg
(alexa.1959@live.com)

I follow Bridget3420 on Twitter as alexanernberg

(4 of 5)

alexa.1959 said...

Alexa Nernberg
(alexa.1959@live.com)

I follow Bridget3420 on Twitter as alexanernberg

(5 of 5)

alexa.1959 said...

Alexa Nernberg
(alexa.1959@live.com)

I follow tatas87 on Twitter as alexanernberg

(1 of 5)

alexa.1959 said...

Alexa Nernberg
(alexa.1959@live.com)

I follow tatas87 on Twitter as alexanernberg

(2 of 5)

alexa.1959 said...

Alexa Nernberg
(alexa.1959@live.com)

I follow tatas87 on Twitter as alexanernberg

(3 of 5)

alexa.1959 said...

Alexa Nernberg
(alexa.1959@live.com)

I follow tatas87 on Twitter as alexanernberg

(5 of 5)

DarcyO said...

Who doesn't love a little romance and suspense? I'm putting Kate Brady on my TBR list!

holdenj said...

Looks very exciting! And a good read!

Amber said...

Sounds spooky!

Kimberly said...

This book sounds great! I haven't read a book by Kate Brady yet, but I would love to!
Kkrasowski2010@gmail.com

Linda Kish said...

I am ready for a good thriller right now.

lkish77123 at gmail dot com

Robin Blankenship said...

Great Blog

Julie said...

This sounds really good. I love thrillers.

juliecookies(at)gmail.com

donnas said...

Great review. Really looking forward to this one.

clynsg said...

After reading One Scream Away, she became an author I would routinely put on my TBR list.

cgclynsg0 @ gmail dot com

hbbs55 said...

sounds like a good read, I am going on holiday in a few months would love to win a copy of this book

Wanda said...

Very intriguing review. I'd love to read this book.

wandanamgreb(at)gmail(dot)com

Wanda said...

+10 for liking Kate on Facebook

+5 for following this blog

+5 for following Bridget on Twitter - @lemonslippers

+5 for following Krista on Twitter - @lemonslippers

+5 for following your sister on Twitter - @lemonslippers

+10 for tweeting this:
http://twitter.com/lemonslippers/status/25255986344

+5 for following Readaholic

+5 for following You Wanna Know What I Think...

+5 for following your sisters blog MamaKnows

+5 for friending Bridget on Facebook

+5 for friending Krista on Facebook

+5 for friending your sister on Facebook

wandanamgreb(at)gmail(dot)com

allisonsbj3 said...

I'd love to read this book! Sounds great!

allisonsbj3(at)gmail(dot)com

Deb K said...

Sounds like a great book~Thanks for the review!

tallcapp said...

I definitely want to read this as I am attracted to literature about serial killers (Michael Connelly's, The Poet) and TV series like Criminal Minds.

tlannan30 said...

This sounds like a great book based on your review.

tlannan30[at]yahoo[dot]com

Anita Yancey said...

I read her book One Scream Away and loved it. This one sounds just as good, if not better.

ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net

Anonymous said...

I like the Five Fun Facts!

theyyyguy@yahoo.com

latishajean said...

Great review I liked her other book can't wait to read this one!

MannaB said...

Great review! I need to get this soon!

Nancy S. said...

I've never read this author before but I think I'd like to now.

purango said...

It sounds like a very interesting book. I would love to read it. garrettsambo@aol.com