October 15, 2010

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE: Room by Emma Donoghue




To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.
From Barnes & Noble




Little, Brown & Company
September 13, 2010
 321 pages
$24.99

Visit Emma's website
Visit the book's website






Disclosure:  I did not receive any form of compensation for this post.  If you purchase a book using my Amazon or Barnes and Noble link, I will receive a small portion of the purchase price.



Bookmark and Share

29 comments:

Colleen Turner said...

This has been on my wishlist for awhile! Can't wait to read it!
candc320@gmail.com

PoCoKat said...

Sounds like a very interesting book!

littleone At shaw DOT ca

debbie said...

I think it is very interesting that it is told through the eyes of a five year old. I would like to read it.

Frugaluser said...

had not heard about this book before today, but it seems neat

Bethie said...

I have been hearing good things about this one.

Carol W. said...

The many favorable reviews have put this one at the top of my "To Read" list. Thanks for the chance to win a copy.

wolfcarol451(at)gmail(dot)com

iubookgirl said...

Thanks for the chance to win! I follow your blog through Google Friend Connect and follow you and your sister on Twitter. I also tweeted about this giveaway (http://twitter.com/iubookgirl/status/27541156788).

Patty said...

I read a review of this the other day in the New York Times and I'm really eager to read it.

patricia dot mariani dot esq at gmail dot com

Cathy W said...

I've been wanting to read this. Thanks.

cjwallace43 at gmail dot com

Mary said...

I have this on my wish list and have been wanting to get it forever!

mryward(at)yahoo(dot)com

donna said...

This sounds really interesting, would love to read this!!

lgm52 said...

Sounds like quite an emotional story. Would love to read it.

Wanda said...

This book looks like something I would be very interested in reading. Great review!
wandanamgreb(at)gmail(dot)com

MindySue said...

I WANT THIS BOOK!!! Crossing my fingers till November 1st.

mindyoja at hotmail dot com

Janelle said...

Like the idea that it's from the child's viewpoint. Thanks for a terrific review & giveaway.
Best wishes,
Chanticlear1(at)gmail(dot)com

nfmgirl said...

I think this sounds like such a fascinating story! It's definitely getting added to my Wish List!

madwoman-doing-cartwheels said...

Having followed the real life story of the girl kidnapped and held in California for so many years, when this book came out I knew I'd like to read a fictionalized account of that type of scenario so this has been on my radar for awhile. I hope she wins the Man Booker award.

rubymoonstone at gmail dot com

Tarah said...

I've been hearing great things about this book?

Tarah
tarah716[at]ymail.com

Sarah E said...

This storyline sounds captivating!
Great review!

familyhistree at yahoo dot com

Sarah E

Debbie said...

I cannot wait to read this one! I have been intrigued by it since first hearing about it.
fourkidsrgreat(at)gmail.com

lag123 said...

I have heard a lot about this book and am dying to read it. thank you for this awesome giveaway!

lag110 at mchsi dot com

wgbc1446 said...

This sounds like such a good book. I can't wait to read it! wgbc1446[at]yahoo[dot]com

flychild7 said...

This book has been on my must read for a while now. Hoping I win :)
flychild7(at)gmail(dot)com

loni said...

I have been reading great things about this book...I am on the very long wait list at the library

trippyjanet at hotmail dot com

Katie said...

I've read her other books and have heard this one is really good, so I would love to win it!

kt1969 at comcast dot net

Anonymous said...

I like the cover of this book!

theyyyguy@yahoo.com

Nina Say said...

I have wanted to read this for a while!

purango said...

It sounds like a very interesting book. I would love to read it. garrettsambo@aol.com

Amber Y said...

Thanks for the post!