November 2, 2010

Review: Heartbroke Bay by Lynn D'urso






A powerful literary debut inspired by a true story. 
 
In 1898, Alaska is an untamed wilderness with an unforgiving climate. At the tail end of a world-wide depression, thousands of destitute people are drawn north by rumors of easy wealth coming out of the remote claims of the Gold Rush. Many of the pilgrims are unprepared for the hardships that await them and find nothing but a desolate landscape already pillaged of its riches by those who came before. 

Hannah Nelson, a beautiful young Englishwoman, is one of the late arrivals. After following her husband to a glacier-wracked fjord in the company of three equally desperate men, she discovers that gold is only one of the desires that can consume a person's soul...
From Barnes & Noble

Heartbroke Bay is a heart-wrenching story of determination.  Lynn blew my mind with this book and as I kept reading it, I couldn't help be be touched, especially knowing that this book was inspired by a true story.  This book gets 4 1/2 stars, easy. 

Penguin Group (USA)
November 2, 2010
320 pages
$15.00 US




Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book for free.  All opinions expressed are 100% mine.  If you make a purchase using my Amazon or Barnes and Noble link, I will receive a small portion of the purchase price.



Bookmark and Share

25 comments:

debbie said...

I would like to read it, it sounds really good.

Linda Kish said...

I would love to read this book.

lkish77123 at gmail dot com

Bethie said...

Alaska is one of those places I would love to visit.

lizzi0915 at aol dot com

Deb said...

Wow...sounds intense especially since its based on a true story. 4 1/2 stars---must be great!

My name means Wisdom said...

Wow, This sounds like an incredible read!

Elizabeth said...

I love true stories...please enter me to win.

THANKS.

silversolara AT gmail DOT com

nfmgirl said...

I love Alaska! I visited there in 1997, and I swear once you visit it gets under your skin and you always feel drawn back again. Thanks for the review!

nfmgirl AT gmail DOT com

Tea said...

Love your review. I would love to read a book about gold and Alaska.

teakettle58(at)yahoo(dot)com

Sarah E said...

I like that this book, set in Alaska, is based upon a true story. I would love to read Heartbroke Bay.

familyhistree at yahoo dot com

Sarah E

Sheila Deeth said...

I've never been to Alaska but would love to go sometime. Would love to read this book too.

Allie said...

I would love to win this book--I want to go to Alaska.

CallMeKayla said...

this sounds interesting..

pmernick said...

I read a similar book last summer but set in Washington State. I'd love to read this one -
PMNSL95 at triad dot rr dot com

lgm52 said...

I love historical novels...and this one sounds really good!

Team JC said...

Thanks for your review!! This is one I must read!!

Isi and Jas' mom said...

This sounds like a good one!

Rebecca O said...

I love books inspired by true stories! Thanks for the review...this looks like a great book.

bekki1820cb at gmail dot com

Michelle Kafka said...

I love novels and movies inspired by true events.

Awesome review.

Subscribed by email.

Thanks for having this giveaway.

BookShock@hotmail.com

Megan said...

Sounds really interesting!

Sarita said...

I would enjoy this book

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Alaska and I'm always looking for good books about the state.

farrell@crosslake.net

Anonymous said...

We use to live in Alaska, so I would love to read this.
shawnac68@hotmail.com

tallcapp said...

This novel, about the Gold Rush in Alaska, sounds like a good read.

FDP 4 Life said...

i can't wait to read this

missrantsypants said...

4 1/2 stars? Not bad at all. I'd love to read it.



clarkmurdock@yahoo.com